gifts from the universe

I started reading this book called "Maybe you should talk to someone" by Lori Gottlieb and I loved it so much I stayed up until 3am last night/this morning reading it. Lori writes about her work as a therapist in tandem to her own experience getting therapy after a huge breakup, and ladies and gents, she just gets it. She is unapologetically honest - she allows herself to wallow, she pokes fun at herself, and then she gives herself credit for moments of clarity in a way that allows the reader to grow with her. She is truly an artful story teller. I love that her way with words is unpretentious, classy, and subtly hilarious. I want to post-it my house with her quotes. Suffice it to say, she is helping me heal and she doesn't even know it.

I got the book rec from a friend named Vaibhav via random text (a few weeks before I publicized anything about my parent's divorce). He was my acting intern medical student when I was 3rd year resident in the medical ICU. I remember him being unusually thoughtful and I remember being constantly amazed at the amount of intense, positive energy he would bring to the team. He was the kind of medical student you loved to get - someone who really cared, responded well to feedback, and worked hard to improve. However despite this, I remember being hard on him. When the organization of his presentation wasn't perfect, I made it known. When he waffled, I demanded he be more decisive and confident. I was strict, and I remember letting my frustrations through at times. When he moved onto another team with different senior (Josh, who I love) the last week of the rotation, I remember feeling bad that maybe I burnt Vaibhav out with my expectations and my too-serious demeanor. I felt bad that I wasn't patient, and that I wasn't the chill senior who could inspire him to love medicine the way that I imagined my amazing colleague Josh would. Thanksgiving of last year, Vaibhav sent me an unexpected text "On a Thankgiving feels note - super grateful to have met you this year! Your ebullient spirit (lol) and kindness are a freaking gift and it doesn't need saying but you're one of the best residents I've ever had. Thanks for keeping it real. Happy thanksgiving to you and your family!!!" Damn.    

Funny how the version he texted me was so different from the version I thought I was.
Funny how months later, out of the blue, he gifts me with this book he didn't even know I needed.
Funny how the universe works.

I was a pedestrian waiting to cross the street today. #car vs. pedestrian, right? A woman in a car pulled up, gave me nice big genuine smile, and then motioned for me to cross.

I swear the universe is gifting me with people in all hidden corners of my life.


“Go out and do for others what somebody did for you.” 

― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture


Photo credit: The Sill

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

shaking the bars

a just-in-case letter to my son

consistency & life goals